Although we talk about a lot of things in Episode 7, the titular fight takes up the bulk of it, and concerns the merits, or lack thereof, of the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360—specifically re: These Difficult Economic Times. Go ahead and take a listen if that sounds like your bag of chips, or take a look at the show notes and see if we might have something else in this episode to interest you.
- Your host this week…Aaron. Everyone knows him, even if they don’t love him.
We’re not sick
- Well, Jared is. Merry Christmas.
- New Flash Header on the website. Now with buttons.
- We’ve been working on ?????
- Aaron has been playing Prince of Persia. Jared doesn’t like it.
- Jared doesn’t like that you can’t die. It’s too easy.
- It eliminates skill, and there’re no puzzles, unlike Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.
- Aaron thinks that all recent Ubisoft games are part of something larger than him.
- Enough about other people’s games.
The fall of printed media 🙁
- It’s going out of style.
- Aaron gets free subscriptions for some reason… So does Harry.
- You can get up to date info on the internet…why get printed media? Quality bathroom reading.
- Print media relies on ads, but they don’t get them since the internet or TV has replaced that. People just don’t like them as much anymore.
- The Spanish version of EGM has tanked. Harry isn’t traveled enough to know.
- Even big newspapers are being hit hard.
- Roger Ebert is even talking about it.
- Gail feels that people like tabloids more than a good story.
- But we can get news, and get it right now.
- Harry wants to band together with other publishers to put an end to online.
- Jared has an idea: More story, more opinion.
- Harry wishes everyone luck.
Trouble in the game industry
- People are closing shop. It sucks.
- EA is doing layoffs. If we laid anyone off….
- Games are still doing well, just not as well.
- Jared didn’t like the new Call of Duty.
- Smaller companies are getting the boot while bigger companies are taking over.
The Game Debate
- Aaron – 3 classes of games: low class for low money, middle class for some money, and super awesome for tons of cash.
- Gail: ya, and then there was Hooked: Real Motion Fishing.
- Jared with the rebuttal.
- Surprise guest: Ben! Time for some more action. Case in point: Legendary.
- Big Budget Games = Big Budget Movies.
- Money does not always equal success.
- Valve takes forever to make things, but they’re wildly successful.
- Aaron wants to clarify.
- Jared: Artistic mediums are different than other industries.
Give Ben some Game Fuel!
- If you’re prepared for the zombie apocalypse, please give some to Ben since he needs it.
- All Aaron needs is a shotgun. Jared disagrees.
- Email us and tell us what you think: podcast(at)aksysgames(dot)com.
- Aaron: PS3 sucks and here is why.
- Jared: STFU and here is why.
- Gail: You won’t get the PS3 to be the PS2.
- Harry: Wii is on another level.
- Jared fights for the PS3. And thinks Metroid Prime 3 sucked.
- At what cost?
- Even Nintendo knows that you can’t release a big name Nintendo game at the same time as a different big game (Wii Music and Gears of War 2).
- PS3 is an investment, but when does it pay off?
- Xbox may be cheaper but it doesn’t come with a HDD. Ben: That won’t matter.
- Why do people by the PS3?
- Aaron: people buy the PS3 for gaming! Jared: You’re ridiculous!
- PS3 vs. 360. You decide. If you could only buy one…
- Yes, but what about cost?
- Gail: for some reason, things just look better on the 360.
- If you want better-looking games, buy the PC version.
- What about the Blu-Ray player? Are DVDs going out of style?
- Jared prepares to school Aaron on the Entertainment Market.
- But, how long?
- COUNTERARGUMENT TIME
- DVD vs. Blu-Ray
- No free stuff. You must pay for everything.
- Only thing at the movies: Twilight trailer…
- Gail claims he saw Indiana Jones.
- We’re disappointed.
- Also, if you want to play a virtual game, you have to wait in virtual line.
- And then there’s the ol’ “A/S/L?”
- Except for people like Aaron who make female avatars.
- HOME = Sims.
- So, HOME avatars, NXE avatars, or Miis?
- A Battle Fantasia Question. Special guest: Bo. Impressions.
- Bo likes it. Harry likes it. Send more questions to podcast(at)aksysgames(dot)com.
- Eric wants to know some things about BlazBlue.
- Problems with the A button? Sounds like something wrong with the cabinet or something. Something like that…
- Invincible frames for Noel? Definitely.
- Tager impressions.
- Someone playing as Carl is pretty impressive…
- Send inquiries to podcast(at)aksysgames(dot)com.
Harry’s Cash Money Cosplay Contest
- Till February, dress as any Aksys character and win Harry’s $$.
- Send all entries to podcast(at)aksysgames(dot)com. Title it with “Cash Money Contest”. Put it anywhere.
Thanks for listening!
Please rate us on iTunes and send any inquiries to podcast(at)aksysgames(dot)com.